The Don Bosco Center of Studies stands on a four hectare lot in the suburbs of Manila, the capital of the Philippines. It was originally established in 1972 as a residence for Salesian candidates to the priesthood who were studying theology at the Ecclesiastical Faculties of the Pontifical University of Sto. Tomas, Manila. With the decree of the Sacred Congregation for Catholic education, the DBCS was granted affiliation to the faculty of Theology of the Universita Pontificia Salesiana, Rome, for an experimental period of five years, thus enabling it to grant the degree of Bachelor of Theology. With the letter, dated 12 April 1992, Addressed to the Rector Manificus of the UPS, the DBCS requested for a renewal of affiliation. Such renewal "ad alterum quinquennium" was granted by the Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education with the decree no. 1557/86/8, dated 18 April 1994. With the Letter of Intent, dated 2 July 1994, the DBCS requested the Department of Education, Culture and Sports for the Permit to Operate the Graduate Course in Theology and the Gradute Course in Religious Studies. With the Government Recognition number C-105, series 1996 the Commission on Higher Education, gave government recognition to the Graduate Course in Theology of the DBCS leading to the degree of Master of Arts in Theology. With a similar Government Recognition number C-106, series 1996 the DBCS degree of Master in Religious Studies was also recognized.